- Geotechnical reliability analysis and design
- Dynamic stability of structures, such as pile foundations under earthquake, bridges under turbulent winds, underground pillars under blasting, rock slopes under earthquake or blasting;
- Rock mechanics, rock dynamics, geohazards, and mining engineering;
- Slopes, tunnels, and foundations. Earthquake Engineering;
- Theories and applications of buckling;
- Structural dynamics and random vibration, nonlinear dynamics, and stochastic mechanics;
- Structural reliability and engineering risk.
The objective of his research is to advance theories and techniques for the stability and reliability analysis and design of underground excavations, structural elements, and engineering systems. Dr. Deng is also developing new models and tools for better understanding the dynamic instability, geohazards, and probabilistic reliability of structures in civil and mining engineering.
The applications of this research pertain to dynamic stability and reliability of underground structures, foundations, and slopes in geotechnical and mining engineering, geohazards, dynamic instability and reliability of structures that are subjected to loadings caused by earthquakes, blasting and wind turbulence in civil engineering.
As a result of his work, Dr. Deng has authored and co-authored over 60 journal publications. He was the recipient of the Best Paper Award at the Third International Conference on Rock Dynamics and Applications (RocDyn-3), the Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award of Central South University in 2003 and Hunan province in 2004, the Best Paper Award at the 2nd National Conference on Mining Engineering for Young Researchers in 1998, the 2004 Silver medal youth sci-tech award of Chinese Society of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, the 2006 Fok Ying Tung award for young professors, as well as the first class of Natural Science Award from Ministry of Education of China in 2007. One of his Master’s students won the Best Presentation Award at the 2019 International Conference on Advances in Civil and Ecological Engineering Research (ACEER 2019). Dr. Deng supervised three groups of students consecutively received the Best Poster Presentation at the Undergraduate Student Conferences, Lakehead University, in 2018, 2019, and 2020.